Updated: Oct 29, 2020
When the cooler weather strikes, it is impossible not to crave some comfort food. Here is one of my favorites! I love this roast for dinner with some rice and corn on the side during a cold, dark winter evening.
Olive oil to taste
1½ lb. tri tip or top sirloin steak
1 large onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, sliced or smashed
Salt to taste
Paprika to taste
Ground ginger to taste
Garlic powder to taste
3 cups water
1 lb. golden potatoes, peeled and chopped
½ cup vinegar
1. In a pressure cooker, add the olive oil and heat to a medium-high temperature.
2. Add the steak and sear it on all sides.
3. Add chopped onions and garlic. Stir.
4. Season with salt, plenty of paprika, ginger, and garlic powder. Mix well.
5. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. Add the water. Make sure it is enough to cover the steak. Put the lid on the pressure cooker.
7. Let it cook for 35 minutes, lowering to medium temperature after pressure starts. If desired, check before the time is up to make ensure the water level is high enough.
8. Meanwhile soak potatoes in water with a little bit of vinegar and salt.
9. Open up the pressure cooker and, using two forks, shred the steak.
10. Add potatoes to the pressure cooker.
Add more water to cover if necessary. Replace lid on the pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes after pressure starts then add more water if needed. Taste for salt.
Serve with white rice. My favorite is basmati. You can also add some corn. I love the flavor of corn and potatoes mixed together.